Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Mmmmm... pig's blood.

I've got flickr working! View my photos here! There aren't many yet, but I'm working on it.

Went to see 'Get Smart' on Tuesday night. It was pretty fun and they didn't overuse the catch phrases. The theater was in the Melbourne Central Station. Think Penn Station on steroids. It's a real, multi-level shopping mall with a movie theater and even a gym (which is pretty smart, actually, for people who want to work out on the way to or from work). And in the middle of this mall/transport hub is an old shot tower. It was a production facility for lead shot which is now a protected piece of architecture, so they built the mall around it instead of taking it down or altering it. There's actually a picture of it in the wikipedia entry if you follow the link. I didn't get any of my own pics yet, but I'm sure I will be back in Melb Central at some point. Last night was Hot Pot. There is video of me eating coagulated pig's blood that I will have to get my hands on. Hot Pot was a blast and I ate so much I didn't even want breakfast this morning.

On the work front, things have gotten a bit frustrating. I'm trying to familiarize myself with transverse sections of embryos so I can know what I'm looking at, but the things look like blobs to me still. And it's not like this is new to me, we learn all kinds of CT sections and x-rays in anatomy. This shouldn't be that hard. But yeah... blobs. I've been helping a bit with some baby wallaby dissections. Usually, they just take a few pieces, but today I opened one up and skinned a leg for fun. I impressed everyone by making the feet clench when pulling on the deep flexor tendon. Dissecting things always makes me feel better (well, except for a few high stress dissections with Jerome, but that's because I'm a spaz and I realize that). They think I'm a good dissector! I told them about my nickname (DESTRUCTOR!). I am certainly living proof that anyone can become reasonably good at dissecting with enough practice.

Weekend plans are taking pictures of things and shopping a bit. I don't like shopping but I need a few things and the big sales that are on right now are about to end. I also need to go jogging now that I'm feeling a bit better. I am so embarrassed: I can run 4.5 miles pretty easily, but the half hour walk to school is killing my legs. Seriously, why is that??

No comments: