Monday, June 30, 2008

Day Five: picked up something dead. And broke the law.

I'm all moved in at my new digs in Brunswick. I love the neighborhood, there are lots of great places to eat and little shops. My new feline roommate is Duncan, a Russian Blue. Unfortunately, by Monday morning, what had started as a bit of a sore throat over the weekend moved into my ears - a sure sign that I'm getting sick. :p Otherwise, Monday started out promising: I found a mostly-skeletal brushtail possum on my walk to school! I didn't have gloves or a bag, so after my lab induction, I grabbed supplies and ran back to get the possum.

Unwittingly, I broke several laws collecting that thing. All wildlife here, including dead wildlife, is protected. Luckily, the University has a collection permit and I can be considered to be covered under that. They also have a tissue export permit, which might allow me to bring the specimen home once its clean! Right now, it's in a bucket of water, making goo. Once it's gooey enough, I guess I'm supposed to clean it off and then bleach it? I suppose I'll do whatever they tell me. Everyone kept asking my why I picked it up. o_O WHY? Don't you always want another nice skeletal specimen? I... I just don't understand why you wouldn't want it. SB Anatomy students, I know you get me on this one.

So then I received some important books, had a tutorial on the microscope, and got my computer access worked out. After that, Monday tanked. My department induction got pushed to Tuesday, meaning I couldn't get keys to any of the rooms, so for a while I was dragging around by bag, books, computer, fleece, coat, scarf, and a dead possum in a plastic bag like some kind of vagrant. Finally, I took care of the possum and then wound up in the student lounge (which I couldn't leave because I didn't have keys to get back in!). I tried to get the school wireless working on my computer but hit a snag with the proxy settings. I started to feel exhausted and irritated and finally headed home about 5:30pm.

I saw 30+ joggers around Princes Park on the way home! Once home, I took some Advil, had dinner and watched Father Ted with Gen and Duncan. Slept in this morning, which was nice and I feel better. Today I WILL have my department induction, or else this guy is going to find out what it's like to be stalked by the Most Annoying Girl In The World. I wish I had brought the "Hello, how may I annoy you today?" shirt my sis got me for my bday one year...

Tonight I'm going to see Get Smart with some friends, and then tomorrow we're going to give Hot Pot another shot. Wednesday is another jogging day for the students and I really want to go since I skipped Monday. They only go about 5k, but it should still be fun. I'm still working out my Flickr account. I'm having some trouble uploading and I'm not sure why. I think I need to update my Flash player, which I always loathe. I should have it up and running this week.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No don't bleach it! That would ruin it. Macerating it in water should produce a perfectly fine, clean specimen.

I assume you'll be picking up a cute marsupial pet for us with your export permit...

mare1077 said...

HAHA...Dead things = good to an anatomist...I actually prefer my things alive for the most part...but opossums I just might prefer dead. :)

Hope you actually get keys and have a better day tomorrow.