Thursday, June 26, 2008

G'day!

I have arrived safe and sound in Melbourne. The flight was mostly uneventful, which is as much as one can hope for. The $4.30 hot dogs at LAX made me think of Farke. Fanciest f*cking hotdogs west of the Mississippi, I’m sure. The flight from LA was late into Auckland, and this translated to an hour and a half late into Melbourne, finally off the plane by 9:30am. The first snag I encountered was that it turns out my old LG Verizon phone does not have a SIM card slot, so I had to buy a whole new phone. $59 including 130 free minutes. More than I wanted to pay, but it’ll work.

I was picked up by someone holding a sign with my name on it(!!) and we dropped my things off and got the university about noon. I got right to work assisting some dissections. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I had baby wallabies in my labcoat pockets within 45 minutes of being here, and I call that a success. Then I helped with some immuno staining, just to learn where everything is and check out their protocol.

I haven’t eaten anything interesting yet. Lunch was a panini at the student union and dinner is quickly-cooling pizza from a place nearby the hostel. The toughest thing so far is remembering that cars and people pass right-to-right here. I almost got into the driver’s side of my host’s car and I’ve been getting some odd looks passing people on the streets when I forget. I’m sure it’ll be like second nature in no time.

My computer’s clock tells me it is 5:38am in my former time zone, and it’s 7:38pm the following day here in Melbourne. Jet lag has not caught up to me yet, but I expect it to in the next couple of days. Good thing tomorrow is packed: meeting for breakfast at 8am, wrangling wallabies in the morning, more lab work, administrative stuff, rock climbing, and hot pot for dinner with the students. I’m psyched about the wrangling! I haven’t wrangled anything since I was in Montana in 2006. I am guessing wallabies will be more difficult than lambs but easier than calves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds about right getting through LAX, wait until you head back and have to deal with Customs there. Productive first day! Hope the wrangling goes well, it sounds like fun. How's the hostel? Any luck getting a place?
R

Andy said...

Congrats on making it safely! Mmmm, wallaby veal. . .